Volunteers fulfill a crucial component of our mission. They shop and deliver food to those in St. Louis who need it most during the coronavirus pandemic. If you’re looking for a way to help, we’d love for you to volunteer.
As a volunteer, you would help in one of two ways:
- Help our nonprofit partner organizations with either last-mile deliveries or meal packing.
- Pick-up food boxes from STL food pantries and deliver them to STL residents who are in need (BIAS & STL Food Angels are part of the United Way 2-1-1 Coordinated Response – we are fulfilling requests for United Way 2-1-1 clients).
Our partner organizations are providing food and groceries for those carrying the highest burden during the COVID-19 pandemic including the elderly, people who are immunocompromised, people with underlying chronic illnesses, COVID-19 positive individuals and others.
The time requirements for volunteering vary based on your role.
Last-Mile Deliveries & Meal Packing for Nonprofit Organizations
The normal shift time for last-mile deliveries and meal packing is three hours. Volunteers can choose their day and shift to help us with deliveries.
United Way 2-1-1 Coordinated Response Deliveries
Volunteering for United Way 2-1-1 Coordinated Response project requires signing up to be “on call” for at least one day a week for a duration of four weeks. We will notify you at the latest the night before your previously assigned “on call” day if there is a delivery to be made with pertinent delivery information. The maximum time commitment per day is three hours.
We take the safety of our volunteers and those we serve very seriously. All delivery is contactless and your required training before you begin helps us ensure as best as possible that you will be safe.
Although you won’t have to pay for the groceries, we do ask that volunteers cover the cost of gas used to deliver them. If this concerns you please let us know so we can look for opportunities to cover the cost. Also, as a show of our appreciation to our volunteers, Bilingual International Assistant Services, our fiscal sponsor, is providing QuikTrip gas cards to all volunteers who have volunteered more than three times with us.
To protect the population we serve, we ask that volunteers meet these requirements:
- You must not have traveled outside of a 60-mile radius of St. Louis in the past 15 days.
- You must not have had direct contact with a known or suspected COVID-19 patient for at least two weeks.
- You must not have symptoms of concern (fever, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, cold or flu symptoms, shortness of breath, loss of sense of smell or taste).
If you’re interested in volunteering with us, please fill out the form linked below. And thank you for offering your time during such a difficult situation. Our team and those we serve are incredibly grateful.